As an avid global warming activist, I attend lectures and seminars all over the world as often as my schedule permits. I got involved long ago when a good friend said to me; "What does global warming mean? It means it's warm in the winter and warmer in the summer. There's not a down side to it." That's all it took. Since that day I've been bound and determined to make people aware of the benefits of global warming.

It's been brought to my attention that some of you haven't been doing your part to warm the globe up (you know who you are). Shame on you. So I decided to start a blog which each week will discuss at length, a topic related to global warming. We'll examine the given topic and see if it's something we should or shouldn't do. So without further ado...

Monday, February 28, 2011

Post #3- Global Warming and Reusable Grocery Bags

Welcome back everyone. I hope you found ways to fill your time now that you're not wasting away precious hours recycling. Have you decided what to do with that empty space in your driveway now that the ugly recycling bin is gone? I suggest you install a basketball hoop.

Today's topic is a hot one (no pun intended) in the global warming community. It's been hit heavily at nearly every seminar I've attended in the past several months. The topic is the debate over plastic bags vs reusable bags. So without further ado...

Global Warming and Reusable Grocery Bags
Did you know by using plastic grocery bags for 5 years you support SEVEN Malaysian families who rely on the income from manufacturing them to survive?

Wikipedia says that the apparel industry promotes reusable shopping bags as "sustainable fashion." Isn't that the biggest load of tripe you've ever heard? Not once have I ever seen someone walking down the street with a reusable shopping bag and though to myself; "Dang Gina! They're stylin'!"   Not even a Gucci logo and a miniature puppy inside that reusable bag would make it fashionable.

I'd like to go on record right now saying that there's nothing more shady in this world than reusable grocery bags. Even the definition contradicts itself: "A reusable shopping bag, sometimes called bag for life is a type of shopping bag which can be reused several times: this is an alternative of single use paper or plastic bags."  Let me get this strait, it's called a 'bag for life' yet it's only good for several uses before needing replaced?

Lets do some math here. I was in Whole Foods the other day and noticed that their reusable bags were retailing for $14.99 each. Lets say the average person buys groceries for their family once a week. It would be impossible to put all your purchased goods for the week into one bag but we'll assume you can fit them into four reusable bags. That comes to $63.92 (with tax) for the four bags. Remember, they're only good for a few uses. We'll say you're the cautious type and somehow make your bags last for four trips to the grocery store. That means you'll be dishing out $767.04 (that's  £478.79 for those of you in the UK) every year for your bags. How long do people buy groceries for? Well, until they're put into a retirement home or they die. For the sake of argument we'll say 60 years. That brings our lifetime grand total to: $46,022 ( £28,722) spent on reusable grocery bags. Now I know you're in utter shock. It's OK. I was too. But I've got great news my friend! You're not a lost cause yet!

I'm going to let you in on a little secret that few people know: You know those flimsy plastic bags at the end of the checkout line at the grocery store? They're FREE! That's right! They're 100% FREE! Still don't get it? They don't cost anything! They're $FREE-NINETY-FREE! Now I know that some of you are saying; "But Brandon, they're not as strong as the reusable bags. Sometimes they rip on my way to the car and my groceries go rolling everywhere."   This is true and embarrassing. My bags ripped once in the Walmart parking lot (ASDA car park for you UK readers) sending my canned goods rolling in every direction. I was so embarrassed by this that I couldn't bring myself to go back there for months. We don't want this to happen to you. So what can you do? Well, remember how I said the bags are free? Do you know what the cost is to double-bag your goods? IT'S FREE! So in that case don't double bag them, triple bag them! IT'S FREEEE! (I can't reiterate that enough).

Need more reasons not to use reusable bags? Lyndsie, one of our dedicated readers brought this to my attention: "Reusable grocery bags can serve as a breeding ground for dangerous food-borne bacteria and pose a serious risk to public health, according to a joint food safety research report issued by researchers at the University of Arizona and Loma Linda University."
(http://eponline.com/articles/2010/07/01/reusable-grocery-bags-breed-bacteria-research-says.aspx)

I once saw a sign in at the checkout stand that read: "There are areas of the pacific Ocean that have more plastic than plankton."  That's not shocking, that's awesome! Truly one of the great feats of this American nation. Don't hang your head guys. That garbage is probably in the crappy parts of the Pacific Ocean. You won't see that junk at any major beach in California and let's be honest; Cali is really the only place to be as far as pacific Ocean beaches go. Out of sight, out of mind.

One last reason to avoid reusable bags: They're usually made from 100% recycled goods. And as we all remember from last weeks post, we don't support or condone recycling.

In closing, if we all do our part we CAN warm the globe up. It's the little things that make a difference. Just like the slogan for TESCOS (British grocery store) says "Every Little Helps."
(http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m532/hadleyfoo/tesco.jpg)

Thanks again for reading guys. If you've got a topic you'd like me to discuss or a myth that you'd like me to dispel just drop me a line and you could be featured in an upcoming column!

No comments:

Post a Comment